Jul 18, 2015

Saturday Previews Vol. 6

Hello, hello, hello ladies and gentlemen. My apologies for missing last week, I moved to a new apartment and was dropping a couch on my foot and crashing a moving truck into a mailbox when I'd normally be posting this. So let's speed through two weeks of trailers.

Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice
Now is probably a good time to mention I am not a part of the internet legion that hates Man of Steel. I think that movie was really good and got the character of Superman 100% right. I did have some misgivings about Ben Affleck being cast as Batman mostly because I wasn't sure if he'd be able to fully become the character or whether we'd be stuck watching an actor (albeit a very good actor) "pretend" to be Batman. Very similar to my feelings on the two leads in Terminator: Genisys. I'm still unsure of it but overall... this trailer... I need a cigarette. The story is moving in a direction I like and Batman's motivation for going after Superman is well rooted in his character. It also helps quite a bit to have Alfred advising Bruce that Superman is one of the good guys. I think the colors are still a bit dark. But overall I like how it's looking. My only fear is that Snyder is trying to cram too much into the movie. If this movie doesn't look like your thing, that's cool. But at the end of the day it's Batman, Superman, and Wonder Woman fighting each other and (POSSIBLE SPOILERS) Doomsday. If that very concept doesn't tickle you then this movie simply isn't for you anyway.
 
Goosebumps
Confession time: I wasn't really into the Goosebumps books. I was more into The Hardy Boys. So I'm sure a lot of the references in this trailer go right over my head for readers of the series. It looks like a fun kids movie. In fact about halfway through I realized that this is basically Jumanji filtered through R.L. Stine. There's nothing wrong with that.

Joy
Don't get me wrong I love Jennifer Lawrence. But I can't help but feeling she's a bit miscast here. She just seems a tad young for the role. It looks like we're jumping across different periods and to show the change in years it appears all they're doing is changing her hair style. If only real aging worked like that. It's a David O. Russel flick with a good cast so I'm sure both writing and performances will be at the very least interesting. If Lawrence brings her sarcastic wit and dry sense of humor I'm sure it'll be entertaining regardless of any age irregularities.

To fill out the rest of the past couple weeks we got Suicide Squad which looks promising but I'm net yet sold on Jared Leto's Joker. He sounds and acts like the Joker but the overall look doesn't sit well with me. He looks more like a Joker fanboy than the actual Joker. We'll see how it goes. Miss You Already, Brooklyn, She's Funny That Way and The Finest Hours round out the trailers from last week. The final Fantastic Four trailer continues to try its damnedest to get anybody to care. Everybody loves Amy and Tina and if you don't you're a dirty communist and not a true America. Here's their new movie called Sisters. Finally there is Pan, Digging for Fire and The Revenant.

If you'd like to yell at me about how Man of Steel sucks or just shoot the shit feel free to get at me on @MisterFroggie or drop a comment.

No comments:

Post a Comment